The 2023 inspirational prop is... an umbrella!
All entrants will receive:
- Acknowledgment through FormSite of receipt of submissions and administrative fee.
- Notification of Eight Finalist plays, on the website, preceding TheatreFest.
- Notification of winners, on the website, following the conclusion of TheatreFest.
Each of the eight finalists will receive a full production of his/her/their play and two complimentary tickets to TheatreFest. (We cannot offer travel and room accommodations for finalists, but those who are able to attend will be greeted, feted, and showered with recognition!)
Additionally, we will send out press releases about the finalist playwrights to our local publications and to any of the playwrights’ respective outlets.
First Place: $500
Second Place: $350
Third Place: $250
Five Runners Up: $100/each
- Each play must include the 2023 prop, an umbrella. This can be any shape, size or color of an umbrella.
- Maximum running time is 10 minutes. Less is fine.
- Cast maximum is three, but there can be more than three characters as long as all characters can be played by the maximum of three actors. Any combo, gender-wise. No characters under the age of sixteen.
- Scenic requirements cannot be excessive as all eight plays are presented at each performance.
- No one-person plays, no musicals, or children’s plays.
- Playwrights must be at least 18 years old.
- Submitted plays must be un-produced anywhere and un-performed outside of readings or workshops. Submitted plays may have been entered in other contests.
- You must be the sole creator(s) of the play and entitled to confer performance rights.
- If chosen as a finalist, you grant performance rights, royalty-free, to Weathervane Playhouse for the complete performance run of the 2023 8x10 TheatreFest.
- The play remains the sole property of the playwright(s).
- Each year at TheatreFest, the audience chooses a special prop that must be incorporated into the following year’s plays.
Each year at TheatreFest, the audience chooses a special prop that must be incorporated into the following year’s plays.
Our 2022 audience members chose an umbrella.
All plays must include an umbrella. It must be seen on stage. The prop may be incidental, tangential, or the centerpiece of the play -- be creative in your use of it, however, the umbrella cannot be damaged or destroyed.
HOW TO ENTER
Submissions will be accepted from April 15, 2022 through October 15, 2022.
Please note, there is a $10 administrative fee per submission. Scripts cannot be submitted without payment. You do have to enter your credit card information, minus the CVV number, on FormSite to verify it is a valid credit card. Your card will not be charged, however, until you reenter the information on the PayPal site that you will be automatically directed to. FormSite DOES NOT HAVE THE ABILITY TO CHARGE YOUR CARD, and does not store any of your information.
The first page of your play document must be a title page which should include:
- Contact info: name, mailing address, phone numbers, and e-mail address
- Title of play
- A short summary of the play
- Brief descriptions of the characters in the play
- Number of pages
Your script should also be numbered. The title page may be numbered as well if that is how you prefer to format.
A few pointers:
- Carefully read and review the rules and entry guidelines.
- Whenever possible, give your characters names rather than Woman 1, Man A, etc…
- Your play can run less than 10 minutes, but cannot run over. We suggest reading your play out loud before submitting.
- Send your play in early for the best possible review and consideration of your work.
Questions? Contact Melanie Pepe HERE.